how to jigdo download a fedora 8 re-spin in one easy step?

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Wed Jan 2 17:01:58 UTC 2008

David Boles wrote:

> Ric Moore wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 19:28 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
>>

>> +1 Ya know, it's WORTH a coupla bucks just to not torture myself and buy
>> the DVD. One stinkin' bleep or bloop in the process and the DVD is an
>> expensive coaster. Plus, my overall mental health takes a serious
>> double-gainer-back-flip into a bout of depression and carpet chewing.
>>
>> What I truly miss from the OLD DAYS was when package manager just asked
>> that I insert the CD and it would install packages, long after the
>> install took place. The option was to use ftp to grab anything else
>> needed and everyone worked as smooth as a monkey's butt. Heck, I'd
>> subscribe to update DVD's, if the service wasn't too pricey.
>>
>> Then I could go back to using the internet as a place to get information
>> from. Sure, get security alerts off the net quickly, but all those
>> megabytes of updates tying up bandwidth, for a lot of us on modems and
>> creeping DSL is a pure headache.

I'm not sure where you got this information but you're wrong in several
places.

> These re-spin isos are only really needed for fresh installs. The only
> difference between the original Fedora 8 release DVD(s) and the
> FedoraUnity re-spin DVD(s) is the updated packages as of Dec 18, 2007.

These Re-Spin ISOs work perfectly well on upgrades too. In fact, it
incorporates fixes that might enable some users to upgrade where they
first encountered bugs during the procedure.

> For example. If there have been, for your installation, 50 updates
> between Official release and 150 updates total you just spent your
> bandwidth downloading 100 packages that you don't have installed or use.
> Kinda' a Doh!! Homer?  ;-)

Another example. You want to do a minimal install on that box that
doesn't have Internet. You just spend some time downloading the DVD and
with ~600 packages installed it has ~70 MB of updates!

> This would be handy to carry from machine to machine and save the
> downloading of some of the updates for each machine. I say some because
> I actually did a plain basic install of the FU 8 re-spin, nothing added,
> not custom packges a plain default install and had 27 new updates after
> that were not on the re-spin.  :-)
>
> The 'everything' isos are, IMO, a waste of time for Joe User. Again
> perhaps handy for the admin with many machines. Joe User has yum and the
> fedora.repo points to the 'everything' folder on the server site. So
> instead of using bandwidth to download over 9 gigs of packages that most
> would never use I think that downloading a package or two, or three,
> seems more along the path most should follow.

1) The Everything ISOs are fun, especially doing a full installation
using the CD media.

2) The Everything ISOs are used (a lot) by those that want to carry
Fedora with them, and install it on machines that have slow internet
connections or none at all.

  And BTW the 'everything'
> isos *don't* contain the updates. They contain the everything packages
> as of Nov 15, 2007 when the made it. Fedora 8 was released on Nov 8, 2007.

The Everything spin doesn't contain a SINGLE update, actually. It
contains all packages released as of Nov 8, 2007.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip