Custom F8 kernal and ath5k

Greg Sieranski greg.sieranski at quoininc.com
Wed Jan 2 19:29:34 UTC 2008

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:25:40AM -0500, Greg Sieranski wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had any success compiling their own kernal and enabling the
>> ath5k driver per
>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath5k#Getdriver with an
>> Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express
>> Adapter (rev 01)?  I have had no luck with the madwifi drivers and and
>> trying to find some other way to get my wireless to work.
>>

> Why would you need to do this?  ath5k is already in F8 kernels.
>
> John

thanks, i did not know it was there. So i removed all madwifi modules
and then reloaded the ath5k driver and get the following when running lsmod:

ath5k                  98501  0
mac80211              132045  1 ath5k

however, when i do an iwconfig i get:
lo        no wireless extensions.

irda0     no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

vmnet1    no wireless extensions.

vmnet8    no wireless extensions.

virbr0    no wireless extensions.

So no wireless devices are showing up. Any thoughts on what I can try next?

I have an  Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless
PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

Thanks for the help,
gs