Java problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Jan 2 19:53:24 UTC 2008

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 01Jan2008 09:10, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>
>>> If you are doing a default x86 Sun JDK install, you will find the
>>> distributables in /usr/java/jdk.../bin directory. If you are using Java
>>> 6 then you should also see /usr/java/default and /usr/java/latest
>>> symlinks pointing to the Java6 directory.
>>>
>>> You could add /usr/java/default/bin to your path (either by modifying
>>> /etc/profile file, or in any other file that you use to setup your
>>> environment)
>>>
>>> Now, you should be able to run whatever command that you wanted to run:
>>> 	java -jar XYZ.jar
>>>
>>> Rogue
>>>

>> Hi Rogue, I would never guessed the above. Turns out you need to be using a
>> root login.
>>

> No, you should _not_ have to be root. In fact, you should try quite hard
> to avoid being root when not doing system administration.
>
> | But I have the jEdit installed but now reading the man page to
>
>> see how to do it :-)
>>

> Always a good start.
>

>> Thank you so much. I was sure that having no /usr/bin/jar meant I did
>> something wrong. But the new stuff takes new ways. Thanks a lot!
>>

> The other thing you should bear in mind is that "jar" is a tool like "ar",
> "tar" or "zip" - it constructs, inspects or unpacks ".jar" files.
>
> To _run_ a java program you want the "java" command.
>
> Usually a Java app is distributed as a jar file, an archive containing the
> program, and the command "java -jar foo.jar" is used to run it.
>
> You still need "java" in your $PATH, or to invoke "java" explicitly (eg
> "/usr/java/bin/java") if it is not in your $PATH. Usually it is desirable to
> adjust your $PATH you include this stuff, saving painful long paths later.
>
> Both "java" and "jar" have manual pages, quite good ones. If java in
> installed out of the "vendor" area (here "vendor" means redhat/fedora
> and "/usr/bin" is part of their area - that they expect a free hand
> in), you will need to adjust your $MANPATH to include the "..../man"
> directory of wherever the java package is installed, much as you have to
> adjust $PATH to include the "..../bin" directory to run "java" without
> using the full path of the command.
>
> Cheers,

    OK I am finding this at /usr/java/:

[root at k5di ~]# ls /usr/java
default  jre1.6.0_03  latest

Now default and /usr/java/jrel.6.0_03/ are identical and have this:

[root at k5di ~]# ls /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/
bin        javaws  LICENSE  plugin  THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.txt
COPYRIGHT  lib     man      README  Welcome.html
[root at k5di ~]#

    My experiance to date is that using $ java -jar filename.jar works
but other problems crop up. Also I have no man java. So it is not in the
searchpath for man packages. How do I fix that?

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User