Java problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Jan 2 21:21:58 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Cameron Simpson wrote:

>>> Hi Rogue, I would never guessed the above. Turns out you need to be
>>> using a root login.
>>>

>> No, you should _not_ have to be root. In fact, you should try quite hard
>> to avoid being root when not doing system administration.
>>
>> | But I have the jEdit installed but now reading the man page to
>>> see how to do it :-)
>>>

>> Always a good start.
>>

>>> Thank you so much. I was sure that having no /usr/bin/jar meant I
>>> did something wrong. But the new stuff takes new ways. Thanks a lot!
>>>

>> The other thing you should bear in mind is that "jar" is a tool like
>> "ar",
>> "tar" or "zip" - it constructs, inspects or unpacks ".jar" files.
>>
>> To _run_ a java program you want the "java" command.
>>
>> Usually a Java app is distributed as a jar file, an archive
>> containing the
>> program, and the command "java -jar foo.jar" is used to run it.
>>
>> You still need "java" in your $PATH, or to invoke "java" explicitly (eg
>> "/usr/java/bin/java") if it is not in your $PATH. Usually it is
>> desirable to
>> adjust your $PATH you include this stuff, saving painful long paths
>> later.
>>
>> Both "java" and "jar" have manual pages, quite good ones. If java in
>> installed out of the "vendor" area (here "vendor" means redhat/fedora
>> and "/usr/bin" is part of their area - that they expect a free hand
>> in), you will need to adjust your $MANPATH to include the "..../man"
>> directory of wherever the java package is installed, much as you have to
>> adjust $PATH to include the "..../bin" directory to run "java" without
>> using the full path of the command.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>    OK I am finding this at /usr/java/:
>
> [root at k5di ~]# ls /usr/java
> default  jre1.6.0_03  latest
>
> Now default and /usr/java/jrel.6.0_03/ are identical and have this:
>
> [root at k5di ~]# ls /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/
> bin        javaws  LICENSE  plugin  THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.txt
> COPYRIGHT  lib     man      README  Welcome.html
> [root at k5di ~]#
>
>    My experiance to date is that using $ java -jar filename.jar works
> but other problems crop up. Also I have no man java. So it is not in
> the searchpath for man packages. How do I fix that?
>
> Karl

    Well I tried to get an earlier version of jedit to run and sure
enough a NEW JAVA problem. From the error notice that says this:

[karl at k5di ~]$ jedit
GC Warning: Out of Memory!  Returning NIL!
Exception in thread "main" GC Warning: Out of Memory!  Returning NIL!
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit
*** Got java.lang.OutOfMemoryError while trying to print stack trace.
[karl at k5di ~]$

I can't tell if it is a problem with jedit or my version 6 java. I don't
know what GC is and org.gjt.sp.jedit.jedit is greek to me.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User