central administration

Mr.Scrooge maximilian_bianco at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 03:57:16 UTC 2008

Does anyone know why the administration tools are not all accessible through a single panel? I
have seen this done in other distros and it makes alot of sense. Though in these other distros the
default five minute sudo rule ( once you enter the root password, you get five minutes of
unrestricted(gui) admin access) was still enabled which if you centralize administration doesn't
make a lot of sense. I know the "5 minute rule" can be eliminated via the addition of
"timestamp_timeout=0" but why not centralize administration and eliminate it all together?
Gnome-control-center will run from a command line. I guess the real question is why the
gnome-control-center isn't availiable via gui(by default) as a central administration tool. In the
case of System>Administration and all the individual options, the "5 minute rule" makes sense but
with central admin panel I don't see the need. Someone please enlighten me.

-Max