Java problem

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Jan 3 15:41:48 UTC 2008

On Thursday 03 January 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:
> This isn't something you have to guess about.  There is a compatibility
> test.

Have you run any tests against icedtea?  Which specific ones failed?  Were
bugs filed in bugzilla about them?

> There are different versions with different tests.  Sun is the authority
> on this unless that have given that up recently.  The fact that this
> isn't clear shows just how badly the fake versions have damaged the name.

We here have had Java compatibility problems with this app since before gcj,
icedtea, or other FOSS solutions were available.  The most notorious, of
course, was Microsoft's java, which didn't work at all.  We learned that we
had to specify a particular JRE, and we provide information about this issue
during our training workshops.  This is just the applet; the servlet is even
more version-sensitive (we are doing telescope control using custom hardware;
JRE/JDK upgrades are very touchy, even inside a major JDK version).

> That's a different - and solvable - issue.  If a replacement shell did
> something different internally, like removing quotes before expanding
> wildcards you'd get the kind of damage that an incompatible java
> interpreter can do.

Ever try a real Korn shell on different platforms?  Specifically, ever tried
it on an Apollo DomainOS 10 or later system?  You'd hate that system;
depending upon the setting of an environment variable, you had different
shells, different sets of programs, and different behaviors (SysV, BSD, or
Aegis).

But that's a different story.
--
Lamar Owen