smartd results: bad drive?

Gijs info at boer-software-en-webservices.nl
Thu Jan 3 16:38:58 UTC 2008

Steven Stern wrote:
> I'm seeing this in logwatch every morning. Does it indicate sdb is in
> trouble?
>
>  /dev/sdb :
>     Prefailure: Raw_Read_Error_Rate (1) changed to
>       53, 69, 65, 62, 60, 59, 58, 57, 56, 55, 54, 55,
>       54, 67, 63, 61, 60, 48, 49, 48, 49, 50, 49, 50,
>       73, 63, 60, 57, 56, 55, 54,
>     Usage: Hardware_ECC_Recovered (195) changed to
>       56, 55, 56, 57, 56, 55, 56, 55, 54, 55, 53, 54,
>       55, 54, 56, 55, 54, 55, 56, 55, 56, 57, 55, 56,
>       55,
>     Usage: Temperature_Celsius (194) changed to
>       34, 35, 34, 34,

Well, the temperature does not really give you a warning of anything
except temperature changes (as you might have already guessed). Next is
hardware ECC recovery. Some harddrive manufacturers give the 195 a
different meaning, so its best to find the harddrive manufacturer, and
find out what exactly 195 stands for. I have a disk that gives me this
hardware ECC stuff all the time, but there's nothing really wrong with
it. The numbers you are getting here are similar to what I'm getting on
my machine, but just to be sure, find out what 195 really means for your HD.

On to raw_read_error_rate. These errors, as the prefix already suggests,
occur when the harddrive is about to fail (prefailure). The numbers you
are getting are not indicating any real problem, but if they increase
towards the 100's or 1000's, you do have something to worry about.

So in short: nope, not a real problem, but keep a close eye on the
raw_read_error_rate.