java again really

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 18:07:32 UTC 2008

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> The real solution would be for Sun to supply a well-integrated
> RHEL/Fedora RPM, but apparently the effort to make that happen hasn't
> met with much success.

Is any of that effort on the record?  I can see why Sun might prefer a
location that is not linux-specific so documentation about setting PATH,
CLASSPATH, etc. would be more portable, and why they might want the
install locations to be more obvious than the fedora/RH scheme for cases
where different user/applications on the same machine need to use
different jvm versions instead of taking the default, but I'd like to
know the official reason.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com