Ralink 2500 chipset based pcmcia wireless card

Ivan Virgili ivnmad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 21:56:40 UTC 2008

Ivan Virgili wrote:
> - the card is set to 1 Mb/s when the computer starts and I have to
> manually run "iwconfig wlan1 rate 54M" to get the full speed.
> How can set that permanently? Which file do I need to work on?
> I had a look around (Google, my Fedora installation, etc.), but I did
> not find a solution.

OK, solution to this problem found.
I had already tried it, but for some reason it did not work.
It worked the second time around.

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan1

RATE=54M

instead of

RATE=Auto

This can also be set through System -> Administration -> Network -> and
then edit wlan1 connection (in my case) and wireless settings.
Very basic, but I had never had to do it before.