Java Solution

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri Jan 4 00:26:24 UTC 2008

On Thursday 03 January 2008 09:21:32 am Karl Larsen wrote:
>     Here is what Fedora leaders need to do to end the java problems on
> Fedora. Here are things that need to happen.
>
> 1. Contact Sun Inc. and make sure they continue to package the free
> package: "jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin" and any new improvements in the
> future. We need to have Fedora docs that explain how to unpack this odd
> file. It might be part of the install instructions.
Fedora will not ever accept a propietory piece of software  so suns java will
never be acceptable.  I had  jedit working in under 5 minutes using Iced Tea.
without doing anything special.

> 2. Next the small wimpy java 1.51 which is of no use to a serious java
> user should not be made available to the user.Instead there should be
> dummy /usr/java/default/bin/java file which will print out "Java not
> installed" if you press java in a Terminal. There needs to be a link
> between /etc/alternatives/java to /usr/java/default/bin/java.
this  is seriously dumb  we have iced tea  now  which is Java 7 in an
entirelly free form.

I suggest that you spend more time reading and learning what you are doing
than ranting about things which you clearly  are not knowledgeable on

Dennis