Printer sharing over network

Mr.Scrooge maximilian_bianco at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 17:58:17 UTC 2008

--- Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 01:12 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
> > When you "share" a printer in CUPS, then other systems can access it.
> >
> > Share a Linux printer with Windows has other problems.
> >
> > What I have found is that it you are using a Windows print driver for
> > the printer under Windows, then you will want to configure a CUPS
> > version of you printer which has a "raw" print driver.  In order for
> > this to work, you will want to edit the file:
> >
> > /etc/cups/mime.types
> >
> > and uncomment the line:
> >
> > application/octet-stream
>
> This printer is an HP psc 1310v all-in-one printer via usb cable to my
> linux desktop.  Plug it in, or as now, turn it on, and it is shown as
> installed and works (although, have to reboot sometimes to get the job
> to print , don't know why yet but is only way).
>
> And I looked and the file above already has that line uncommented.
>

> > In the CUPS administration stuff, you will need to create a new
> > "printer" which uses the raw print driver, but still access the same
> > physical printer.
>
> So going off what I wrote above, I still need to create a new printer
> with teh raw drivers?  Do I remove the one that cups currently has setup
> to use the printer and use it along with the newly created one?
> >
> > >From the Windows side, you will need to set up a network printer using
> > the IPP: or HTTP: protocols, something like:
> >
> > http://linux-machine:631/printers/raw_printer_name
> >
> > If you do it right, you will be able to print to your Linux printer from
> > your Windows machine.
>
> We can take this off list if need be as well, I don't mind.  Although
> will be later tonight after work before I can do anything, or maybe
> tomorrow.
>
> --
> Mike Chambers
> Madisonville, KY
>
> "The best lil town on Earth!"
I shared a printer off my linux(OpenSuSE) box to windows but if i remember right I used samba to
set it up. It was pretty straight foward. I haven't gone through the process with Fedora but maybe
it's about time. I will get it set up over the weekend and let you know what results i get. When i
set it up, i had to install the printer in Windows, open ports on the firewall for file and
printer sharing(windows) and of course the ports that samba uses off the Linux box.

-Max