Openvpn Fedora tutorial?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 5 01:11:57 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>
>>> Is there a good tutorial for openvpn under Fedora?
>>> I've followed the instructions at
>>> <http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=595436>
>>> but they seem to have made things worse rather than better.
>>>
>> Did you try the fairly obvious http://www.openvpn.net/ Instructions
>> there worked for me, on C4, Debian, RHL 7.3 and opensuse 10.2. I think I
>> had it on Windows at one point too.
>
> I did indeed look at this site.
> Unfortunately I did not see anything that could be called a good tutorial.
> I found the whole site rather muddled,
Oh.
one click from the home page to the howto not good enough?

> and far too full of self-praise about openvpn.

He has a good product with a good price and a good licence. If he didn't
say so, would anyone use it?

> The OpenVPN Quickstart starts with a discussion
> of the advantages and disadvantages of a Static Key
> without ever explaining what a Static Key is.
>
> The OpenVPN 2.0 HOWTO starts with a discussion
> "whether to use a routed or bridged VPN",

You want routed. Probably.

> again with no explanation of what the difference is.
from the howto:
<<Z
Intended Audience

This HOWTO assumes that readers possess a prior understanding of basic
networking concepts such as IP addresses, DNS names, netmasks, subnets,
IP routing, routers, network interfaces, LANs, gateways, and firewall rules.

If you don't have a handle on these basics, but would still like to set
up OpenVPN, I would encourage you to hire an OpenVPN expert on a
consulting basis. Many of the authors on the articles page are available
for consulting, or you can contact the creators of OpenVPN at
info at openvpn.net.

It's not intended to be, and should not be, a tutorial on networking. My
first Linux book (before I used Linux) was the Linux NAG, Network
Administrators Guide, by Olaf Kirch. It's available as a free download,
maybe at The Linux Documentation Project. Hopefully, it's been updated,
a lot has changed since the 1.0 and 1.1 kernels.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait