more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Jan 5 12:23:55 UTC 2008

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, John Summerfield wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   yes, yes, it's really basic stuff but ...
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Configuring_VNC
>
> Here are some things to play with once you have it up.
> 1.
>   killall twm
> The window decorations vanish
> 2.
>   startkde
> Play with kde for a while, then logout
> 3.
>  gnome-session
> play with that for a while, then logout
> 4.
>   kwin&
>   kicker&
> 5.
>   killall kwin
>   twm&
>
> Note that when you don't have an active window manager, focus follows the
> mouse cursor.
>
> 6.
>   vncserver -kill :1

i've actually been playing with most of the above already, but i'm
reluctant to add too much more to the recipe page since i'm trying to
keep that stuff fairly basic -- as in, just enough to get someone
going, at which point they're on their own.  at some point, something
stops being a recipe and turns into a tutorial or HOWTO.  sometimes,
it's a tough call to know when to stop.  :-)

> # Use "-localhost" to prevent remote VNC clients connecting except
> when # doing so through a secure tunnel.  See the "-via" option in
> the # `man vncviewer' manual page.

i only recently noticed the "-via" option, but the man page
explanation for that is hideously uninformative in terms of explaining
what my options are for the "gateway" system.  assuming i can use the
VNC client system itself as the gateway, if i'm currently connecting
using:

  $ vncviewer 192.168.1.100:5901

how precisely would i extend that to add a "-via" option?  that
*would* be worth adding to the recipe.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA