java again really

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Jan 5 12:38:37 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>    Hi Guys, I d/l the version of Sun java that comes with a src.zip
>> which is indeed the source code. How to use this source is not yey
>> understood but it has promise. I also have all the Sun legal
>> statements and one tiny part is important! They simply will not let me
>> or anyone else send the SC outside the USA Period!
>>
> You need to ask yourself:  "What is this the source code of?".
>
> You will find, or I hope you will find, that his is original source code
> of for the API (Application Interfaces) class libraries.  It doesn't
> include any of the source for things such as the JVM or the java
> compiler.  The main use of these are in debugging.
>
>>    You can send out a binary version made by you anywhere it seems.
>> There is a lot more to read about. I got:
>>
>> *Linux self-extracting JDK file
>>
>> of 67 MBytes that does have the source file as shown.
>>
>> Much more later when I read it.
>>

> Good luck....  But you may find yourself better served by joining the
> java forums and learning about java there as those forums are focused on
> java.  To continue trying to learn about java here will be painful and
> potentially filled with inaccurate information.

    Your right, and it would seem that the best someone could come up
with over the past several years are the small java version 1.5 with
iced-tea added. That seems to be unsatisfactory but perhaps the best
that can be done.

    As for the source code it for sure is odd. It comes in several
directories as shown below:

[karl at k5di source-code]$ ls
com  java  javax  launcher  org  src.zip  sunw

    Odd but the java directory has this:

[karl at k5di java]$ ls
applet  awt  beans  io  lang  math  net  nio  rmi  security  sql  text  util

So it will be fun to figure out.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI