java again really

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Jan 5 13:18:16 UTC 2008

Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 04.01.2008, 20:41 -0600 schrieb Les Mikesell:
>
>> Do you mean there is a java-sun-compat package included in the fedora
>> repository or some part of the jpackage repository that is documented as
>> working with F7 and F8?
>>

> Fedora never included a java-sun-compat package but a jpackage-util
> which installs a basic infrastructure for java according to the
> jpackage.org specification.
>
> It is (and was since Fedora 1) up to the user or sysadmin to decide,
> - either to download java-1.x.x-sun-compat-1.x.x.y-zjpp.i[nnn}.rpm from
> jpackage.org and the Sun java rpm from Sun and install both
>
> - or to download java-1.x.x-sun-1.x.x.y-zjpp.nosrc.rpm and the shell
> script based Sun Java distribution from Sun, build their own rpm and
> install that.
>
> This principle was introduced with Red Hat Linux 8 or 9, had been taken
> over into Fedora and has been continuously improved over the various
> Fedora versions (e.g. introducing a yum repository as part of
> jpackage.org).
>
> So your information in your posting I refer to, as well as in several of
> your previous postings is simply wrong and continually spreading out
> wrong information is rather awkward.
>
> Peter
>

>> download
>> --
>>    Les Mikesell
>>     lesmikesell at gmail.com

    OK. I am confused. You say there is now ready to yum a jpackage for
F8 that has the infrastructer for using the d/l Sun java. This is what I
decided was needed. So please if you can give us the way to yum this
file(s).

    I hope it is not the same files F8 comes with :-)

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User