Java Solution

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Jan 5 19:29:09 UTC 2008

On Friday 04 January 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     Something happened in my immediate family yesterday and let me say
> it is not like me to pick on people like I did. But I was not in sound
> mind yesterday. Today I say please forgive me Dennis what I said was
> stupid and not correct.

I'm sorry you had family issues; I know how that is, as I have five children.
But I endeavor to not do e-mail when the situation is that stressful.

> The only thing accurate is that what I learned
> about java I feel strong about. This again is that with all the java
> provided in a Work Station load of F8, which I since learned is not very
> much capability, I had no successful install of jedit. It is nice that
> others have had success. I can't explain that.

Well, F8 ships two different Java's by default: gcj (the pretty minimal one
that doesn't work with jedit, as you found out) 1.5, and then IcedTea,  which
is kindof a Sun Java (read the Iced Tea pages to find out why I say that;
suffice to say that IcedTea, built on the OpenJDK source code from Sun, is
what Sun Java 1.7 is possibly going to look like; in other words, like many
things in Fedora, IcedTea 1.7 is experimental) 1.7.

As John Summerfield said, in another thread, if you want something stable in
that regards, get CentOS 5 and install the very easily installed Sun Java on
it.  I have a CentOS 5 box here, and it is rock solid, and it's in
production.  I use Fedora for my own laptop, and my own desktop (so I can do
some SecondLife stuff (yes, work stuff, but I can't be more specific due to
NDA)), but that's all.  Mission critical servers that I have are still
running CentOS 4, not even 5.

In short, jedit does not work with gcj 1.5, but does with IcedTea 1.7.
--
Lamar Owen
www.pari.edu