Re: some simple questions on VNC

Steven Stern wrote:

|> The 58xx ports fire up a java version of the VNC viewer so you can
|> use VNC inside a web browser.
|
| um ... so the 58xx ports are listening specifically only for
| java-based VNC viewers that are being invoked from within a browser?
|
| what you wrote above is a bit confusing since it sounds like you're
| saying that the java VNC viewer is running on the *server* side.

It's been a while since I've  had it installed, but IIRC,
http://server:5801 downloads a java app to the client browser that
functions as a vnc viewer.

http://www.rhic.bnl.gov/RCF/UserInfo/Software/VNC/vnc.html#java

The point here is that you can connect from any client that has a web browser that supports java applets. You don't need to have installed a vnc client first. You can find similar applets for telnet/ssh connections but you have to set them up under a web service yourself.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com