more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 5 20:43:14 UTC 2008

Nikhil wrote:
> On Fedora/RHEL clones I like to configure vnc thus:
> [summer at potoroo ~]$ tail /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
> # Use "-nohttpd" to prevent web-based VNC clients connecting.
>
> # Use "-localhost" to prevent remote VNC clients connecting except when
> # doing so through a secure tunnel.  See the "-via" option in the
> # `man vncviewer' manual page.
>
> VNCSERVERS="66:root 3:summer"
> VNCSERVERARGS[3]="-geometry 1280x1024"
> VNCSERVERARGS[66]="-geometry 1280x1024"
> <<
>
> Does the above VNCSERVERS declaration mean to limit the number of vncservers
> to be 66... can it be increased if yes, how much beyond?

Those are just the port numbers I use (as expressed by X & VNC), Red Hat
chose this method around RHL 7.x.

The expression VNCSERVERARGS[66] is how bash addresses arrays.

I think the limit's 99, maybe 100. ":66" translates to TCP port 5966,
but one can also access vnc by HTTP to TCP ports 100 less, so 5866 in
this case.

--

Cheers
John