Grub feature request?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 5 21:13:48 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 06:58:44 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> [...]
>> 1. read the docs. Be aware though that "boot" means "load the kernel." I
>> don't see that it can help with crashing kernels.
>
> 	If there is any documentation of anything, anywhere, yet more
> opaque than all I've read of grub, I shudder to think of it. It's
> written, like a classic gummint manual, for those who already know
> everything in it, cold, and want an occasional reminder. Those of us
> lacking such knowledge, it merely daunts.

I find that playing with something while referring to the docs helps.
Grub is easy to play with, though one needs two computers or a printed
copy of the grub manual for best results:-)

I find info documentation generally hard to use, but the pinfo command
makes it easier to browse.

>> 2. Take a look at grub2.
>
> 	The project site, for instance at http://www.gnu.org/software/
> grub/grub-2-support.en.html, was last updated a little over a year and a
> half ago; stability was hoped for as of November '06. Did that come to
> pass?? Or is it still an invitation to disaster for mere mortals?

That's grub2. It's intended to replace grub, when ready. Look for what
it describes as "grub legacy."

--

Cheers
John