vgrename using fc6 rescue [redux]

Tod tod at stthomasepc.org
Sat Jan 5 22:01:46 UTC 2008

Tod wrote:
> I made it to the command prompt and typed in lvm vgscan, no volume
> groups are found.  fdisk -l sees all my drives/partitions.
>
> What do I need to do to get it to recognize my volume group so I can
> rename it?

Sorry, poorly formed question.  Let me try again.

I'm trying to rename my volume group.  I have one drive with a non-LVM
boot partition and then the rest of the drive is LVM'ed, I have another
drive on the box - single partition, entirely LVM'ed.

 From all indications I should be able to boot up with the fc6 rescue
cd,  do a vgrename, change the /etc/fstab and grub.conf to reflect the
new name and life is good.

So I booted up with the rescues cd, did not enable the network, skipped
the search for fedora installations, and ended up with a command prompt.

At this point I should just be able to do a
- lvm vgscan
- lvm vgrename

I can't get past vgscan, it doesn't find any volume groups.  If I try
vgrename --test oldname newname it fails because it still can't find any
volume groups.

ls /dev shows nothing volume group related.  vgscan --mknodes, and
vgmknodes both do nothing.

This has to be something stupid I'm not doing but I am at a loss.  Given
the VolGroup00 naming the fedora applies by default I can't imagine this
hasn't come up a lot yet none of the solutions I have found are
applicable.  Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks!