ldap on F8

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 6 03:47:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:37:26 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 03:30 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>> I want to install ldap on F8 for use with evolution. I did a quick
>> google search and it led me to the fedora directory project:
>>
>> http://directory.fedoraproject.org
>>
>> The FAQ says explains how fedora-ds relates to openldap. However, which
>> one do I install? Does it matter? Does evolution work with either one?
> ----
> yes, both follow the standards for LDAP v2 & v3
>
> You may have some challenges installing fedora-ds on Fedora 8...at least
> from my monitoring of the fedora directory mail list. OpenLDAP is simply
> installed, probably a little better known and in wider use.
>
> That said, fedora-ds does have some GUI utils that just aren't available
> for openldap.
>
> Evolution is relatively indifferent to which LDAP server you use
> (fedora-ds/openldap/microsoft/SunDS/eDirectory/etc.)
>
> Craig

Thank you!

I've installed openldap, and I'm reading the instructions from RH. It
says I have to edit /etc/openldap/slapd.conf:

suffix     "dc=your-domain,dc=com"

Now I want this for my lan only. I don't have a fully qualified domain
name. What do I use? Can I use localhost localdomain? I don't suppose I
can use verizon.net, can I?

Thanks!