MP3 Players

John Thompson john at vector.os2.dhs.org
Sun Jan 6 03:56:22 UTC 2008

On 2008-01-05, Jose Celestino <japc at co.sapo.pt> wrote:

> Words by John Thompson [Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 10:09:26PM -0600]:
>>
>> Most MP3 devices are seen as ordinary USB mass storage devices by linux.
>> What's the problem?

> The problem is that some vendors put a lot of effort into locking the
> device db to only work with a particular application and that makes
> things a tad harder.

For the last few years I've been using a Samsung YP-F1 player. Works a
treat -- linux sees it as an ordinary USB mass storage device, so I can
just copy the music files into it. Plays .ogg format, so no need for
nasty proprietary codecs. The only thing I don't like is that it has to
be plugged into a USB connection to charge the battery, but I've managed
to live with that.

--

John (john at os2.dhs.org)