Migration from RHEL WS 5 to Fedora

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 05:37:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 22:45 +0100, Peter Boy wrote:
> Recently we had a thread about experiences with migration from Fedora to
> RHEL WS or CentOS / Scientific Linux.
>
> I would like to move the other way. Since an upgrade from RHEL WS 4 to 5
> the machines continously freeze two times a day or more, even when idle,
> applications are crashing (esp. Evolution). It's no joy. I couldn't find
> anything specific which could cause the crashes.
>
> Question: Has someone done it and might share his / her experience?

As a general rule, upgrading provides much fun if you like having things
blow up unexpectedly. Just read all the tales on this list of UpGraDe
MadNesS. Backing up and fresh installs are, to me, much preferable and
far far more predicable. Plus a fresh install may take an hour or so.
Upgrades can take forever at times and then blow up after. Sometimes
not. It's a coin toss. There you have it, I shared! :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar