vgrename using fc6 rescue [redux]

Tod tod at stthomasepc.org
Sun Jan 6 17:40:00 UTC 2008

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 17:01 -0500, Tod wrote:
>> Tod wrote:
>>> I made it to the command prompt and typed in lvm vgscan, no volume
>>> groups are found.  fdisk -l sees all my drives/partitions.
>>>
>>> What do I need to do to get it to recognize my volume group so I can
>>> rename it?
>>
>> Sorry, poorly formed question.  Let me try again.
>>
>> I'm trying to rename my volume group.  I have one drive with a non-LVM
>> boot partition and then the rest of the drive is LVM'ed, I have another
>> drive on the box - single partition, entirely LVM'ed.
>>
>>  From all indications I should be able to boot up with the fc6 rescue
>> cd,  do a vgrename, change the /etc/fstab and grub.conf to reflect the
>> new name and life is good.
>>
>> So I booted up with the rescues cd, did not enable the network, skipped
>> the search for fedora installations, and ended up with a command prompt.
>>
>> At this point I should just be able to do a
>> - lvm vgscan
>> - lvm vgrename
>>
>> I can't get past vgscan, it doesn't find any volume groups.  If I try
>> vgrename --test oldname newname it fails because it still can't find any
>> volume groups.
>>
>> ls /dev shows nothing volume group related.  vgscan --mknodes, and
>> vgmknodes both do nothing.
>>
>> This has to be something stupid I'm not doing but I am at a loss.  Given
>> the VolGroup00 naming the fedora applies by default I can't imagine this
>> hasn't come up a lot yet none of the solutions I have found are
>> applicable.  Can anybody point me in the right direction?
>>

>> Thanks!
>>

> 4 questions:
> A. What's your hardware configuration. (Controller, drives, etc)
> B. Stupid question - does F6 even recognize your storage; Can you see
> something in the kernel
> log? /sys/bus/scsi/devices/? /sys/bus/ide/devices/?
> (Don't forget that the rescue CD is based on a far older kernel.)
> C. Have you tried F7/8 rescue CDs?
> D. What does pvscan return?
>
> - Gilboa

A.

uname:

Linux local.localdomain 2.6.22.9-61.fc6 #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 17:45:57 EDT
2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

fdisk:

Disk /dev/hda: 1624 MB, 1624670208 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 197 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda2              14         197     1477980   8e  Linux LVM

Disk /dev/hdb: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77545 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

/dev/hdb1               1       77545    39082648+  8e  Linux LVM

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1       15200   122093968+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2           15201       30401   122102032+  83  Linux

hdparm -I:

/dev/hda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
         Model Number:       WDC AC21600H
         Serial Number:      WD-WT3360541172
         Firmware Revision:  24.09P07
Standards:
         Likely used: 2
Configuration:
         Logical         max     current
         cylinders       3148    3148
         heads           16      16
         sectors/track   63      63
         --
         bytes/track: 57600      bytes/sector: 600
         CHS current addressable sectors:    3173184

/dev/hdb:

ATA device, with non-removable media
powers-up in standby; SET FEATURES subcmd spins-up.
         Model Number:       IC35L040AVVA07-0
         Serial Number:      VNC204A2C7278A
         Firmware Revision:  VA2OA51A
Standards:
         Used: ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1
         Supported: 5 4 3 & some of 6
Configuration:
         Logical         max     current
         cylinders       16383   16383
         heads           16      16
         sectors/track   63      63
         --
         CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
         LBA    user addressable sectors:   78165360
              Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
         PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
              Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
         Enabled Supported:
            *    SMART feature set
                 Security Mode feature set
            *    Power Management feature set
            *    Write cache
            *    Look-ahead
            *    Host Protected Area feature set
            *    WRITE_BUFFER command
            *    READ_BUFFER command
            *    NOP cmd
                 Advanced Power Management feature set
                 Power-Up In Standby feature set
                 SET_FEATURES required to spinup after power up
                 Address Offset Reserved Area Boot
                 SET_MAX security extension
            *    Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
            *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
            *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
Security:
         Master password revision code = 65534
                 supported
         not     enabled
         not     locked
         not     frozen
         not     expired: security count
         not     supported: enhanced erase
         24min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
HW reset results:
         CBLID- above Vih
         Device num = 1 determined by the jumper
Checksum: correct

/dev/sda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
         Model Number:       ST3250823AS
         Serial Number:      4ND2JFJR
         Firmware Revision:  3.03
Standards:
         Supported: 7 6 5 4
         Likely used: 7
Configuration:
         Logical         max     current
         cylinders       16383   16383
         heads           16      16
         sectors/track   63      63
         --
         CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
         LBA    user addressable sectors:  268435455
         Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific
minimum
         R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
         Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 0
         DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 udma6
              Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
         PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
              Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
         Enabled Supported:
            *    SMART feature set
                 Security Mode feature set
            *    Power Management feature set
            *    Write cache
            *    Look-ahead
            *    Host Protected Area feature set
            *    WRITE_BUFFER command
            *    READ_BUFFER command
            *    DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
                 SET_MAX security extension
            *    48-bit Address feature set
            *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
            *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
            *    FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
            *    SMART error logging
            *    SMART self-test
            *    General Purpose Logging feature set
            *    SATA-I signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
            *    Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
            *    Phy event counters
            *    Software settings preservation
Security:
         Master password revision code = 65534
                 supported
         not     enabled
         not     locked
         not     frozen
         not     expired: security count
         not     supported: enhanced erase
Checksum: correct

B.  According to fdisk it sees all of my storage, LVM doesn't seem to
though.

C.  I just tried the FC8 rescue CD, it behaves the same. I should have
tried that before posting...

D.  pvscan returns the boot drive only and does not place it in any
volume group.

Also, I see after I tried the FC8 rescue CD that all drives are seen by
the kernel as scsi.  The output above reflects booting into FC6.  My two
IDE drives are older IBM's scavenged from other machines to cobble
together a file server using the SATA drive.

Thanks for all of your help.