Re: Floods of Emails Coming In To /var/spool/mqueue

Robert L Cochran wrote:

I have a server box running Fedora Core 2 which hasn't been updated since sendmail 8.12.11-4.6.

If this machine is internet-exposed, you should replace it immediately with something that is still getting security updates.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to do an in-place replacement of the operating system. I can install a second physical hard drive, install Fedora 8 or CentOS 5 on that, and then start migrating data from the FC 2 system to the new one over several days time. I can use grub to switch between the two.

That can work with a certain amount of downtime while you install and juggle things although it's a lot easier if you can build the replacement on a different machine and swap it (or the drives) into place when everything works with a final rsync of data at the last minute. If you plan to keep this running for years without reinstalling, Centos would be a better choice, since you can expect 'yum update' to supply security fixes for 7 years.

Then when all looks ready, switch to the (far newer) system. Probably the biggest problem will be migrating my two mailing lists from mailman 2.1.5-10 to whatever version is out there now.

Centos5 would supply 2.1.9, so probably not a big difference.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com