Re: vncserver, display numbers and port numbers

On Jan 6, 2008 2:40 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday crashcourse ca> wrote:
[snip]
> hmmmm ... not really, but you can see how vncserver thinks.  port 5906
> is currently listening; therefore, display :6 is assumed to be
> running, even though you *clearly* specified display :5 above.

The vncserver command is just a perl script.  If you take a look at
the script itself you will see that specifying ":5" is just used to
calculate the port number, it has no significance beyond that.  Since
you manually specified a port number, the ":5" is basically ignored.

I take part of that back.  It does appear to also be used for the
naming of the log file.

--
William Hooper