Advanced learning of GNU/Linux advice

Stewart Williams lists at pinkyboots.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 19:22:46 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote:
> Do you have regular performance reviews?
No, we don't.
> If so, that would be a good time to build a case that it would be of
> mutual benefit for you to become a RHCE or similar, and btw there are
> these fine courses....
>
> Face to face training is hard to beat when you can get it, especially
> off-site and sans phone.
Becoming a RHCE is something I was looking to do in the future, or at
least RHCT.

> And if you want to run Windows, Debian, Ubuntu and Solaris all at once?
Yes, I know this is only a possibility with Virtualisation or multiple PC's.

> I have too many computers, and run or maintain Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora
> 5 & 8, WBEL4, Centos4, Scientific Linux 5 and opensuse 10.2. I'm about
> to reduce Ubuntu by one and (probably) C5 by one.
Blimey! I thought I had too many with 3. Do you run them all at once? I
bet you don't need to heat your house :-)
> Debian has some rough edges, but supports over 18200 packages ...
Yes, I have found debian has more packages then Fedora, even with extra
repositories enabled (e.g. Livna).

Thanks for your advice John. You have definitely given me some things to
think about.

Stewart