File not found errors during CIFS copy to remote RHEL share

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jan 8 05:39:32 UTC 2008

Marc Schwartz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Running F8 with CIFS access to a user specific home share on a RHEL
> server.
>
> If I copy a directory tree from my local home to my personal share on
> the server and there are files with leading periods in the name
> (eg. .bashrc, .emacs, etc.), I get errors indicating a problem copying
> the files.  This does not occur with files that lack the
> leading period in the name. One example of the message from the CLI,
> being in the target folder on the server:
>
> $ cp /home/marcs/.emacs .emacs
> cp: cannot create regular file `.emacs': No such file or directory
>

> However, if I do this:
>
> $ cp /home/marcs/.emacs emacs
>

> it is fine.  So it seems that creating files with leading periods is the
> issue, not that the source file has leading periods.
>
> This happens with Nautilus, Konqueror and via the CLI. It happens
> whether I do this as 'myself' or via sudo.
>
> It also happens whether I login in to the CIFS/SMB share using the
> smb:// prefix in Nautilus or whether I place an entry in /etc/fstab and
> mount the share in /mnt.
>
> I presume that this is a permissions issue of sorts, but cannot seem to
> locate anything via Google that mimics this behavior. I do have the
> folder tree on the server set to 'chmod 777' just to cover bases for now
> and I am the owner.
>
> Any ideas? Need more information?

Granted, I am not on an F8 system....  However, I am on a RHELv4 system and
I have a cifs mounted share that resides on a RHELv5 system.

//gangster/homes
           cifs   153503652  38283612 107296740  27% /home/egreshko/misty2

[egreshko at misty misty2]$ cp /home/egreshko/.emacs .emacs
egreshko at misty misty2]$ ll .emacs
-rwxr--r--  1 egreshko egreshko 237 Jan  8 13:36 .emacs

I think you need to check your smb.conf...

--
Flanders:
	They're not perfect, but the Lord says love they neighbor --

Homer:	Shut up, Flanders.

Flanders:
	Okely-dokely-do.

		   Hurricane Neddy