mail aliases question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 8 08:42:18 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, John Summerfield wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>> I bulldozed mine:-)
>>>
>>> Lots of people start out like you are doing now, then go on to manage
>>> systems for others. Best to start out right.
>>
>> At my age, 73, I'm not really interested in expanding into steady IT work.
>> I think I have enough trouble of my own for one guy to manage...
>
>There was me thinking I was probably the oldest one here:-)

No, I think that 'honor' probably belongs to Karl L.

>Surely, you're not the only one who's reading the answers.
>
>> I was one of those nerds/geeks back in the later 40's that had to suffer
>
>Scroll down http://www.museumwaalsdorp.nl/computer/en/comp641E.html to
>Control Data to see the first computer I used.
>"The Control Data 3200 computer (Ref. CDC 3800 information) had a memory
>of 32K words of 24 bits, a cycle-time of 1.25 microsecond and an
>extended set of peripheral equipment, as hard disks, tape units, a card
>reader, a printer and a plotter.
>CDC 3200 systeem."

I saw one at ISU back in the 50's that had about 12,000 12AU7's in it, but
didn't work on it personally.  It was hooked up to a modifed Harris stream
fed printing press to read the Iowa Test scores from the forms used at the
time, at about 1 a second when running at full song, and printing the
individual results out with a line printer of some sort.  A precursor to the
printer in the IBM 402 family.  I don't recall if it had a card punch though.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)