Appalling desktop performance in F8

Mr.Scrooge maximilian_bianco at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 20:06:59 UTC 2008

--- lostson <lostson at lostsonsvault.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 January 2008 11:20:40 am Les wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 12:11 -0500, Alastair Neil wrote:
> > > On Jan 8, 2008 11:47 AM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > >         > I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else has had similar
> > >
> > >         problems before I roll
> > >
> > >         > back to F7.  It is possible that I am having hardware
> > >
> > >         problems, so the F7
> > >
> > >         > roll back may not help.
> > >
> > >         I am seeing some similar problems with gnome based FC8
> > >         applications
> > >         leaking memory horribly which they didn't do before. Not quite
> > >         the same
> > >         as you report however.
> > >
> > >         Is there anything logged in dmesg when your system stalls ?
> > >
> > > hmm
> > > I have not checked, I suppose I should have done that first :).  I
> > > initially believed that memory leaks were the culpret as I was seeing
> > > my swap slowing filling up even with modest usage this is why I
> > > started switching applications to see if things got better.
> > >
> > > I'll check, I now have two terminals pegged on all desktops and always
> > > on top running top in one and tailing the syslog in the other.
> >
> > I am seeing lockups on my wife's a810n system (AMD Athelon 64) running
> > 32 bit.  I am leary of 64 bit until I get the 32 bit working since I am
> > more familiar with it, and currently it seems that some stuff is still
> > not 64 bit.
> >
> > 	I did find a couple of memory errors, but reseating the memory sticks
> > seems to have cleared that up (12 hour run no errors).  It works longer
> > and with fewer problems.  Screen updates seem to drag a bit, but I see
> > that someone mentioned disabling Pango for firefox, so maybe that is the
> > problem.  I will see if Pango is running on that system.
> >
> > 	But the hangs are real.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Les H
>
>  I like to call them stutters, I too was getting brief stutters and locks so
> to speak. Nothing where I have to reboot but exactly what you are talking
> about. I recently switched back to kde and qt but use AfterStep as my desktop
> and it has since cleared up. So for the past 5 days all has been well.

My f7 and f8 are both working fine. No major issues but i have noticed it lagging a bit, nothing
that locks me up just seems like something has taken the edge off. I use KDE apps for my music
needs though, i haven't been able to get used to the gnome music players or even soundjuicer. I
much prefer Amarok and Kaudio but didn't really like the KDE desktop implementation on fedora so i
use Gnome for everything but music.

-Max