new wrt54g user questions

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 20:45:30 UTC 2008

Tom Poe <tompoe <at> fngi.net> writes:

> Now, I want to create internal network.  Is it just a matter of changing
> the desktop that represents the internal network to a different subnetwork?
> dsl modem = 192.168.0.1
> wrt54g = 192.168.0.1??
> desktop 1 = 192.168.0.2
> desktop 2 = 192.168.0.3

Tom

You probably need to do some reading on networking. However there
are some general pointers I can offer to get you started,
but what you do will depend on what you need.

For example you can assign ip addresses to each machine which must
be different for each machine.

The internal address of your modem will be different from the router and
different again from each machine - but all will, in your case, be
192.168.0.x
where x may be 1,2,3,4 etc

Some people use the address range 10.0.x.x instead of 192.168.x.x and other
ranges are for external outside world ip addresses. The above are reserved
for internal networks.

You can assign these addresses in the case of linux desktops using ifconfig
to do it manually from the logged on root user but usually it will be
defined in the interface definitions in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and similar if
you want static addresses.

On the other hand most routers will allow dynamic assignment using DHCP
and if your router is set up to allow DHCP then as a machine connects
it will be assigned an address from the available address pool defined
in the router's DHCP setup.

You can enter the router setup by pointing a web browser in one of your
desktops to the ip address of the router (see its manual for its default
ip address - whch can be changed if you want to)

Similarly you can change setups in the modem by logging in to its embedded
web server on its ip address (again see its manual)

On the other hand you can make a sophisticated internal home network by
making one of the linux machins act as a DHCP server, and if you want to be
able to connect from one machine to another by using its machine name instead
of its IP address then you may need to run bind (service named) on the server
machine.

> What is the command that will list all the devices on the network?  I
> don't see anything called networkmanager.  Any help appreciated.
> Tom

NetworkManager is just one way of making a wireless connection to an AP.

So others may help you if you ask specific questions but you do need to be
specific as your question is too general to give a specific answer.

HTH