acpi problem

William Murray W.J.Murray at rl.ac.uk
Tue Jan 8 21:31:21 UTC 2008

  Hello there,
          My son has an 'advent 9115' PC, intel/sis with a HITACHI HDS
hard drive.
  booting F8 install CD required "ACPI=OFF NOAPIC' to get it to boot,
and it cleverly included those in the dfault kernel parameters.
However there is no ACPI and I think it upsetting X:/var/log/Xorg.0.log
has warning about ACPI problems and there is no "xv" capable display.
So I would like to find some way to enable it. Is it possible?
I notice that under 2.6.24-rc1 there is a note:

libata-core: blacklist HITACHI HDS drives using wildcard blacklist
matching

So maybe there is something specific about this hard drive?
    What can we try?
    Thanks,
       Bill