Appalling desktop performance in F8

wwp subscript at free.fr
Tue Jan 8 22:33:11 UTC 2008

Hello Alastair,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 11:14:09 -0500 "Alastair Neil" <ajneil at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced terrible desktop performance with F8.  Under F7
> on the same hardware I never had any significant problems, now it appears
> several times a day my desktop locks up (or appears to), mouse movement
> seems unaffected yet windows are unresponsive and I cannot move of select
> any windows or panel objects, even the ctrl-alt-f virtual terminal sequence
> seems to be ignored.  The media player continues happily playing audio. CPU
> load seems pretty high during these lockups and pulseaudio appears to be
> consuming much of it.  Usually if I am patient the system unlocks, however
> often I resort to extreme measures.
>
> Typically I used to have under F7 firefox, thunderbird several gnome
> terminals, rhythmbox and occasionally openoffice open.  I have now resorted
> to epiphany, thunderbird and quodlibet ( I cannot use evolution these days,
> I have become addicted to the grouped by sort G  feature).
>
> The system itself is a P4 2.8 GHZ Dell optiplex 270 with 2 Gbytes of memory
> and an older nvidia card with two 19 inch monitors. I am using the
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-96xx drivers and my home directory is mounted via NFSv3
> over gigabit ethernet.
>
> I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else has had similar problems before I roll
> back to F7.  It is possible that I am having hardware problems, so the F7
> roll back may not help.
>
> Regards, Alastair Neil

I'm getting sensitive short locks (mouse/keyboard events being lost for
1-2 sec). Running F8 GNOME on a Dell D810. Couldn't notice those locks
when running XFCE. I could solve some of the locks, see (1).

But I still get some mouse/key short locks still, sometimes more,
sometimes less sensitive, strange, I couldn't yet determine why (2).

(1)
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg00904.html
(partially solved, see my reply dealing w/ "Dim display when idle) (*)

(2)
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg00476.html

I'm not sure at all, but I see haldaemon and gnome-power instabilities,
and the power managers often brings completely surrealist messages
about my power status. I wouldn't be surprised if those hangs would be
related. Funny 'cause I never got any of these problems w/ FC5.

Regards,

--
wwp