/dev/dvd1 instead of /dev/dvd ?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 03:39:53 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:00:01 -0500
> Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net> wrote:
>

>> Anyone know why The primary device is still /dev/sr0
>> but the symlinks all have names like /dev/dvd1 now
>> (I also have /dev/cdrw1, etc).
>>

> OK, I found the file:
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
>
> Comment says it was generated by /lib/udev/write_cd_rules
> and I can change it if I want to. I did, and all is well.
>
> Too bad write_cd_rules isn't smart enough to notice a
> non-hotpluggable device is now gone and delete those
> rules before writing new ones for the new device...

I had the same problem replacing my old IDE DVD writer with an SATA
writer. I also found the same solution.

On a similar note, my DVD burner died on my server so I temporarily
replaced it with a CD-ROM drive I had lying around so I could boot the
F8 rescue disk and install over FTP from my desktop. In this case when I
replaced the CD-ROM with the burner from my desktop the drive was not
detected at all. I have no idea how to force the detection so I copied
the .rules file from my desktop which provided all the symlinks and such
but replaced the address/bus info with what was in the .rules file on my
server.

It did the trick but it seems strange to have such a problem detecting
very standard hardware in a modern operating system.

Richard