Help: problem with X11 / XFree86-DRI ; who to blame?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 07:29:14 UTC 2008

Hi,

My OS is an up-to-date version of Fedora 7 on a Intel based PC.

I use a particular academic/scientific video rendering software VMD
( http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/ ).
This software uses GLX/Mesa heavily.

My day-to-day window manager is XFCE. When I use VMD, it immediately
freezes keyboard/mouse on my console as soon as any video rendering
activity occurs. The typical error message in /var/log/messages is:

    kernel: [drm:i915_wait_irq] *ERROR* i915_wait_irq: EBUSY --
               rec: 147447 emitted: 147473

However, when I switch to KDE window manager, all this does not occur.

Obviously I first blamed XFCE, but the developers there are convinced
that the Xorg and/or related X11-video drivers are to be blamed.

Eventually I solved the problem: I disabled XFree86-DRI in the file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Is there anybody who knows about this matter and can help me
understand what's going on?
I'd like to report this problem somewhere, but who is to be blamed?
  XFCE ? (they deny)
  Xorg ?
  Fedora ?
  XFree86-DRI ?