LDAP be killing me. I need a good step by step

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 18:51:34 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

>>> Now if you are referring to something other than address book 'clients',
>>> then you will have to be more specific.
>> I mean what you need if you check LDAP authentication in the system
>> authentication GUI or if you use it with samba as included in the
>> distribution.   Adding optional attributes and aliases to support the
>> other clients in the distribution would make sense too.  The question is
>> simply why doesn't the stuff included in the distribution come up
>> configured to match and working together?
> ----
> I suppose if Fedora saw itself as providing a turnkey distribution with
> a notion towards a specific, pre-determined configuration that simply
> worked out of the box, that would occur.

So no one expects anyone to have more than one fedora box and need them
to share network authentication?

>  i.e., isn't that what your
> 'e-smith' distro (or whatever it is called) does?

I thought the point of using any packaged distribution was that its own
components would work together.  E-smith (now SME server) just does a
kickstart install and provides a web interface that does all your
config-file editing for you with a few concepts combined - mostly geared
towards being server for windows boxes. It does provide an ldap setup
suitable for an outlook address book, but it can't authenticate against
its own LDAP server let alone a different instance.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com