Upgrade Hard Drive

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 19:59:23 UTC 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 2:37 PM, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Michael Wiktowy wrote:
>
> > to make sure they don't conflict when you mount them . From the CD you
> > can non-destructively resize the new partitions to take up more space
> > on the new drive (as I am assuming that is why you are moving to a new
>
> I am sure that is only possible with the partition adjacent to the space.

Yes ... but you can move that space to be adjacent to any partition by
moving the paritions around and then resize the partition to fill the
gap, AFAIK. Although I can't recall if gparted is up to the task of
doing that.
Also with LVM, I believe you can just make a new Physical Volume and
extend your Logical Volume to include it no matter where it is (non
adjacent partition or different disk). But I am not experienced with
LVM as it seemed overkill for my simple partitioning needs and haven't
played with it much so take what I have to say about LVM with a grain
of salt.

In any case, based on the OPs message, with his configuration, doing a
dd will most certainly leave unpartitioned space adjacently after his
second partition.

/Mike