LDAP be killing me. I need a good step by step

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 20:44:24 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> coming from the guy who last week decried that it seemed the intent of
>>> Fedora was to be a self-contained distribution, this is extremely
>>> laughable.
>> You mean they have to complete the inclusion of every possible package
>> in the universe before making their own clients talk to their own
>> server?  Otherwise I don't how this relates to anything.  And is there
>> some reason not to expect 'Fedora Directory Server' to not be part of
>> ... Fedora?
> ----
> I suppose if that was an area of concern, I would be monitoring
> Fedora-development list

Without really knowing anything about it, I'll make a wild guess and
assume that it is somehow related to having a java component that
doesn't work with the broken imitation-java that fedora has insisted on
shipping for years.  And rather than make it easy to install a compliant
java that another company has made available for free, they don't
include it at all.  But I could be wrong about that...

> ----
>>> It is impossible to know where you are coming from.
>> I'd like something that works...  Do you really prefer an LDAP
>> authentication client that won't work with the server as shipped in the
>> same distribution?
> ----
> do you mean that it's not working? I must be doing something wrong then
> because my main server (RHEL) is the base ldap server and it's handing
> the authentication for all the Macintosh, Windows and Linux computers on
> my LAN including the Fedora 7 & Fedora 8 clients.
>
> Does your question imply without configuration ("as shipped" reference)?

Yes, but it relates to not having matching configurations for clients
and servers as much as shipping one without configuration.

> Heck, not even Windows does that (Neither server nor client will
> operate/authenticate without configuration). Configuration details is
> what job security is about  ;-)
>
> Again, if you think something is wrong with the way they distributing
> the software, bugzilla an RFE

Having made it work, you are the expert...  Do you think it could be
done better?  Or is there some reason that the configuration used in one
  place can't work in another?

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com