new wrt54g user questions

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jan 9 22:09:54 UTC 2008

Mr.Scrooge wrote:
> --- "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>
>> The WAN IP address of the router depends on the configuration. On my
>> router, it is the "real" IP address. But I have the modem set up to
>> do the PPPoE connection, not the router. The DSL modem is still
>> 192.168.0.1, and has a nice status WEB page. the LAN address of the
>> router is 192.168.1.1, and the WAN address is 68.248.xxx.xxx
>>
>> Mikkel
>> --
> You can still log in to your modem?
>
> -Max

Yes. I just enter http://192.168.0.1 and I get the modem web page. I
don't remember having to set up anything special on the router to do
it, so I suspect that the DHCP settings from the modem include the
route to 192.168.0.1. The router is configured to use DHCP to get
the WAN address. Where I have run into problem is where the router
is configured to make the PPPoE connection. Depending on the router,
I may not be able to log into the modem when the PPPoE connection is
up. (Don't get me started on the guy who insisted on making the
PPPoE connection from one of the computers, and wanted to share the
connection...)

Mikkel