MPEG 2 : xmms/audacious

Richard Emberson remberson at edgedynamics.com
Thu Jan 10 14:31:03 UTC 2008

Fedora 8

I've got one mp3 file that plays with xmms but not with
audacious. I've got another mp3 file that can not be
played with either.

XMMS
Options->Prefences
     Input plugins
     MPEG Layer 1/2/3 Placeholder Plugin [librh_mp3.so] (disabled)
     MPEG Layer 1/2/3 Player 1.2.10 [libmpg123.so]

View File Info over file entry that plays
     MPEG 1, layer 3,
     Bitrate: 128 kb/s
     Samplerate: 44100 Hz
     19913 frames

View File Info over file entry does not play
     MPEG 2, layer 3,
     Bitrate: 56 kb/s
     Samplerate: 22050 Hz
     23352 frames

Click on file entry
On Alert popup:
     Please check that:
     Your soundcard is configured properly
     You have the correct output plugin selected
     No other program is blocking the soundcard.
StdOut:
     ** WARNING **: alsa_setup(): Set buffer time failed: Invalid argument.

AUDACIOUS

click on file that plays with XMMS
On Alert popup:
     Please check that:
     Your soundcard is configured properly
     You have the correct output plugin selected
     No other program is blocking the soundcard.
StdOut:
  *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to create stream.
   MADPlug-Message: failed to open audio output: XMMS reverse
compatibility output plugin

How do I get XMMS to play an MPEG 2 file?
How do I get audacious (the better xmms) to play any mp3 file?
Thanks.

RME
--
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes