mplayer won't start

     Dear friends,

  I installed mplayer under Fedora 7 with yum and it appears in the
menu, but when I choose it, it won't start. Something that looks like
an unusually small dialog box appears and disappears again too quickly
to see anything.

  How can I find out what is wrong? Is there a place for error messages?

  I already checked /var/log/messages, but found nothing.

     Take care
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Post-Doc Researcher