Wireless network problems - Dell Inspiron 1501

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Jan 10 17:23:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:30:36 +0000
> Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
>
> > Do you have correct entries in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ?
> > (Or whatever interface you are using in place of eth0.)
> > Eg "ONBOOT=yes" and "ESSID=...".
> >
> > Also perhaps "alias eth0 <driver>" in /etc/modprobe.conf .
> > Then try "service network restart" (as root).
>
> Thank you for your reply.  I have indeed been down that road
> (several times) and ultimately have concluded that the problem is
> that the wireless driver doesn't appear to support WEP/WEP2
> security, at least not the way that I have it set up.  By setting
> the security to "disabled" on my router, I can make that wireless
> card work.

i take back what i posted earlier -- i apparently have simple WEP
working.  i'm fairly sure that wasn't possible with the older bcm43xx
firmware, but seems to be fine with the newer b43.

for the sake of explanation, is there a set of commands i should run
whose output might be useful for anyone else trying to get this to
work?  time to update the wireless recipe page, methinks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca