Pb with NFS

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Jan 10 17:43:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 22:29 +0100, Francois wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to finish the install of F8 on my new laptop, and now I have a problem
> with NFS.
> I  have created the right exports file under /etc
> I have activated the NFS services as I used to do
> I can ping from my laptop to my main computer.
> I can't ping from my main computer to the laptop
> I've added the right entries in my /etc/fstab
> Now when I run mount mymaincomputer:/home
> I get : mount : mymaincomputer:/home failed, reason given by server :
> permission denied.
>
> When I do the same with my old laptop, it works fine.
> The old laptop and new one have the same IP, same hostname, etc... (of
> course I run only once at a time ;-) )
> I've tried to disable the firewall, but it doesn't help.
> where can I check to make it work ? thanks. Francois

You've not said what your old laptop ran.  I believe that F8's NFS
client wants an "fsid=" option specified even if the server doesn't have
one.  Try adding an ",fsid=1" to the end of your NFS mount options, e.g.

    mount -o rw,fsid=1 server:/sharename /mountpoint

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-               If the enemy's in range...so are you!                -