Skype and gMFSK and PA

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Jan 11 01:47:31 UTC 2008

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>     I got pulseaudio working on F8 and the normal audio on movies and
>> such is fine. But I tried gMFSK which is an application that uses the
>> sound-card DSP engine. It looks fine but when I try to receive digital
>> data it suffers very bad interference and it will not transmit because
>> it says /dev/dsp is busy.
>>
>>     Sype comes up fine and appears to receive data but when I try to
>> call anyone or answer a call they can't hear me at all, and all I hear
>> is noise.
>>
>>     Both of these applications I use daily and do not work even with PA
>> turned off on the Pulseaudio Manager. This doesn't seem to turn off the
>> part of PA that is attached to the sound-card DSP.
>>
>>     So I must remove pulseaudio from my system again. It does appear to
>> work but it has side effects that are not acceptable to me.
>>

> These Skype problem is known and has been reported before.
>
> Just search in the Pulse bugtracker and if you feel your issues are not
> covered by existing bug reports, please open a new one :)
>
> Col

    Thanks Col. I must keep PA off my system until you find a fix for
that bug. Also there are quite a few bugs I read. Sounds like lots of
work yet.

    The other problem seems to caused by pa.demon coming on at bootup
and using /dev/dsp from start to finish. If there was a way to kill the
demon and free /dev/dsp then this gMFSK might work. No other idea comes
to my mind.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI