Thread Stealing [was Installing MP3 for Amarok? How?]

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 11 04:07:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 09:30 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
> But from what I can tell, it appears at my end that I created a new
> message, and then simply hit the 'reply to' button, added my comments
> to the bottom of the file, and fired it away.  I could not see
> anything that was added inadvertently by Kmail - but if you do see
> something that is 'added/mutilated/whatever', please reply with the
> offensive message - I'd like to know if Kmail is doing something
> behind my back.

When you "reply" to a message, it's sent out with additional headers
that have the following information:

    A "In-Reply-To" header, which has the message ID, written after it,
    of the message that it's in reply to.

    A "References" header, which has the message IDs, written after it,
    of all the other messages in the same thread.

The two of them allow decent mail clients to group messages together in
the same thread, and place them in the correct order.  Unrelated
messages, like yours, will be jammed into the wrong thread.  It
interrupts the thread, sometimes aborting a discussion on the original
thread.  And means that your message will be unseen by other people
ignoring that thread.  Perhaps unseen by the person with the right
answer.

If your message is *not* a reply to someone else's, then do NOT use the
reply feature of your mail client.  Create a "new" message.  On some
clients you can do so simply by clicking on the "To" address of an
existing message, to create a new message to that address.  On others,
you'll have to create a new message and add the right to address to the
"To: field.  For those, you can make life easier for yourself by adding
the mailing list's address to your address book.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.