rdesktop and Vista -- no fun

Mr.Scrooge maximilian_bianco at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 04:50:02 UTC 2008

--- Robert L Cochran <cochranb at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Steven Stern wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone been able to connect to Vista machine with rdesktop?  I just
> > installed a Vista machine at work and I'm unable to access it from home
> > with rdesktop.  I've found a few suggestions and modified to source code
> > for version 1.5 per
> > http://blog.beuchelt.org/CommentView,guid,2e8c092f-da8b-4321-a43a-96c8ddb25908.aspx,
> >
> > but with no good results.
> >
> What version of Vista is this, Home Basic?  Ultimate? Did you open the
> right ports on the Vista machine? Did you check on whether your version
> of Vista allows inbound connections to it? Is your home firewall
> blocking the ports?

Assuming that his version supports it all the config will be automagical or should be after it is
enabled. Excepting the the account used must have a password and be admin or remote desktop user.
Then again there is so much that magically breaks and fixes itself, a great reason to avoid it if
ever there was one,that you might want to double check all of the above. Actually i would bet that
M$ modified the protocol but that is an assumption.

-Max