Preparing for KVM?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 11 12:51:22 UTC 2008

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I shall be getting a new 64-bit machine next month. Since it will have
> plenty of spare capacity, after initially installing Fedora 8, I
> intend to install some virtual machines with KVM.
>
> Is there anything I should plan for when I do my initial Fedora 8
> install? I'm thinking particularly of disk partitions. Do I need to
> reserve additional partitions for the virtual machines, or do these
> get emulated somehow?

I bout one especially for the job (I planned to use xen, but never mind)
and installed a 320 Gb disk.

I made one big partition, and use files for emulated disk. Reputedly
this is less efficient than using real disks, but performance isn't an
issue. It's for evaluation, learning and testing techniques.

I would suggest that running any sort of workload on the host separate
from the guests isn't a good idea. Unless I've missed something, Linux
sees each guest as just one more process and ranks each virtual machine
about equal to Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird etc,

One thing to take note of, lots of RAM. You need real RAM for each
guest, you cannot overcommit.

Discussion seems to be on the fedora xen list.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait