Wild strange problems

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Jan 11 14:08:44 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote, On 01/11/2008 08:17 AM:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>   i realize i'm going to regret this immediately but, karl, if you
>> plan on starting a brand new thread every time you want to post
>> something about nvidia, could you at least (as you have been
>> encouraged to do countless times) use a meaningful subject line?
>>
>>   we *have* had this conversation before but, sadly, the lesson seems
>> to have worn off.
>>
>> rday
>> --
>>

>    I have not and never will learn a lesson from you.
>
> Karl

Will you try to learn a lesson from someone else then?

If you will, then the lesson I would like you to learn is that:
Placing the name, where name is output from /sbin/lspci, of the hardware that
seems broken into the subject line, when you send a message to a mailing list
may tend to direct people who know how to solve your problems to your messages.

The second possible lesson is:
Subjects that don't even list which sub system[1] you are having difficulty
with tend to only irritate folks who might otherwise make an attempt at
helping you.

[1] subsystems: audio, video, USB, hard drives, removable media, printing,
networking.

BTW to your original email provided insufficient information, I suggest
providing the following info may help:
0) a new subject line along the lines of "hard drives changing order of
detection, WHY?"
1) how is hard drive 0 connected (PATA, SATA, SCSI, USB, FIRE WIRE)
2) how is hard drive 1 connected (PATA, SATA, SCSI, USB, FIRE WIRE)
3) can your machine be set to boot from USB, SCSI, FIRE WIRE?
4) can your bios be set to reorder the disk boot order?
5) how is your bios set to boot now?
6) what order is your bios set to now for the disk order?
7) full lspci output.

--
Todd Denniston