Mounting a samba share via fstab

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Fri Jan 11 15:09:00 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 January 2008 07:43:20 pm Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 16:21 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > Since I wanted the mount to appear on my desktop, I omitted the nodev
> > option.
>
> Unless things have changed, that's not what the "nodev" option means.
> It means that that devices cannot be created there.  It's used as a
> security measure in a similar way that "noexec" can be used (making it
> harder to run executable files from that mount point.
> --
> [tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
> 2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386
> It should go without saying, but RTFM!

Yes, I know what it means, but...

things do change all the time, or so it seems.  Just like "we" thought
that '\ ' in fstab should work, but no longer.  I tested many permutations
until I got it.

The same is true testing with and without the 'nodev' option - both times the
drives are mounted, the difference being whether or not it appears as an icon
on your desktop. Who am I to argue with what I SEE.  The desktop icon is
useful and since it is a samba mounted Music drive, I can open it and drop
more music there.  If I did not want the icon to appear on the desktop, add
the 'nodev' option.

I guess we have to stop assuming things past and sometimes present and try
things out as proof in the pudding or do a LOT of reading and pray that you
find the most recent document, if it exists, or that you KNOW who has it
where and it matches your particular OS and version :-)

Oh, while I am on the subject, I noticed that SELinux does not like the
credentials=/etc/samba/auth.smb option since it does not allow permission to
read that correctly type labeled file (samba_etc_t) and refuses to mount
drives containing that option statement.  Drat.  For now I use
the 'user=DOMAIN/USER%PASSWORD' option statement until the SeLinux group
catches up with this one.

FWIW,
Dan