Googleearth

don vogt donvogt2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 16:44:22 UTC 2008

 I just had a little adventure with Google-earth (I
sure wish they would standardize their spelling.) I
tried to start it by clicking on the icon after not
using it for several weeks--nothing. I tried as
another user -- nothing. I tried starting from a
terminal in /opt and got a message that it could not
find libcrypto.so.0.9.8b ( note the trailing b) Locate
said I did not have such a file, but had one without
the b. I fooled around a while trying to get a version
with the b and finally did -- then it couldn't find
another libsomething.so. I looked at where the
libcrypto came from and it was ssh, I believe.
 Then I started to worry about having two googleearth
setups, one in /home/"user" and one in /opt. I went to
a root gui and clicked on the googleearth icon. It
came up and said there was anupdate available. I
downloaded that and all is well.
 I an still on fc7 and using nvidia-96xx with no
apparent problems.
 I know this is different from the troubles on this
thread, but thought it worth reporting.